Knee pain is one of the most common joint complaint that brings people to the doctor. With today’s increasingly active society, the number of knee, leg, back pain problems is increasing. Knee pain has a wide variety of causes and accordingly its Ayurvedic treatments.
Osteoarthritis (Sandhi vata) is the most common cause of knee pain. Knee arthritis can make it hard to do many everyday activities, such as walking or climbing stairs.It is a major cause of lost work time and a serious disability for many people.
Cause of Knee pain
Out of many reasons Knee Osteoarthritis is common which is a degenerative, wear & tear type of arthritis that occurs most often in people 50 years of age and older, but may occur in younger people, too. In osteoarthritis, the cartilage in the knee-joint gradually wears away. As the cartilage wears away, it becomes frayed and rough, and the protective space between the bones decreases. This can result in bone rubbing on bone, and produce painful bone spurs. Osteoarthritis develops slowly and the pain it causes worsens over time.
Signs & Symptoms – How it feels,
A knee-joint affected by arthritis may be painful and inflamed. Usually the pain develops gradually over time, although sudden onset is also possible. There are other symptoms, as well:
- The joint may become stiff and swollen, making it difficult to bend and straighten the knee.
- Morning stiffness: Pain and swelling may be more in the morning, or after sitting or resting.
- Vigorous activity may cause pain to increase
- The knee may “lock” or “stick” during movement. It may creak, click, snap or make a grinding noise (crepitus).
- Pain usually increases in rainy season and winter season.
Natural Ayurvedic treatment (Non-Surgical Treatment)
1. Exercise and Weight Loss Non surgical management of Knee pain starts with weight loss and leg muscle strengthening. Each extra kilogram of weight can put up leads to extra pressure on the knee joint during activity. Thus people of a larger size tend to develop arthritis at an earlier age and to a greater severity than their slim counterparts.
2. Herbal Medicines Many herbs like Guggul, Shallaki, Ashwagandha, Guduchi, Rasana, Dashamool etc has been proven effective in treatment of Arthritis . We have designed a special Ayurvedic arthritis treatment protocol which has been proven effective in reducing knee, Leg pain and other symptoms of Arthritis.
3. Panchakarma for knee Pain
- Abhyanga: A gentle herbal oil massage to body which helps in relaxation and improves blood circulation
- Swedan: Ayurvedic steam with ayurvedic herbs which removes the rigid toxins from the body an loosen the muscles
- Basti: Medicated enema which aims to balance the vata dosha of body. Also helps in healing of degeneration of joints
- Janu Basti: Knee joint is called as the Janu Sandhi in Sanskrit; hence the name Janu Basti . Benefits of Janu Basti are as follows:
- Treats Osteoarthritis
- Relieves knee pain
- Strengthens Leg muscle
- Balances Sleshaka Kapha, which regulates the synovial fluid in the joint, which is necessary for proper lubrication of the joint.
4. Yoga Various forms of yogasan are been taught which helps in restoring the mobility and give strength to the muscles of leg around knee, this helping in case of sandhivaat Ayurvedic treatment
Proper care along with Ayurvedic medicines and Panchakarma can surely avoid or delay knee replacement surgery…………
Book your appointment for Knee pain (Sandhi Vata) with our doctor for treatment at Jeevaniya Ayurveda, Varanasi today. Call +91-9455589033 for appointments